Tuesday 27 April 2010

Apologies

It's not just me.

For example, Doctor Vee has written this:

The observant among you may have spotted that it is a month since I wrote a post for this blog. It is interesting that I have not even found the motivation to write about the General Election. This is not a conscious decision — I genuinely have not been moved enough to put finger to keyboard.

This is due to a combination of factors. Partly, I became disillusioned with politics a couple of years ago and have not felt the need to write about it for a long time now. But it goes beyond politics writing.

With me too there are several reasons for the lack of blogging. In addition to dealing with my own financial and business matters there is a general feeling of being "blogged out". Believe it or not, it's now eight years since I started writing Freedom and Whisky and when I look at the state of the world, of the UK, and of Scotland I can't help wondering whether anything's been achieved at all. Throughout the West the political class seems determined to wipe out the prudent and to subsidise the feckless. And the term "feckless" obviously includes plenty of businessmen (sic) as well as the more conventional candidates for that description. The lack of any clear plans from the establishment parties to cut the national debt is a disgrace. They all deserve to lose.

But perhaps all is not lost. We now have a Libertarian Party in the UK and I would certainly vote for them if they were standing here. And the Libertarian Alliance goes from strength to strength. Indeed, it takes me so long every day to read other libertarian blogs that there's no time left to write this one...

Like folks elsewhere I get the distinct impression that we are heading for some kind of bust up. I don't believe for a moment that the financial crisis has been solved. As to why, I suggest getting this new book from the IEA. Then read the hard core stuff.

I'm kind of tempted just to settle back and see how it all pans out. I'm certainly going to enjoy the general election and hope to see lots of the bums (from all parties) thrown out.

But afterwards it'll be back to the intellectual struggle. That's what really matters in the long run. I expect that I'll still be part of it.

1 comment:

David Farrer said...

Comments made on previous template:

Colin finlay
Fortunately for them (and us) individual Gays have zero Ethnic/Genetic future, so any faux - concern about the tribulations which the UK will doubtless face can be safely discounted.

5 May 2010, 22:47:32 GMT+01:00
– Like – Reply





Bill (Scotland)
I too have been writing a lot less than heretofore, probably for similar reasons.  
 
Whilst I agree it is a 'disgrace' that the cutbacks required, in the light of the financial profligacy of the past 13 years, made worse by the recession, have not been spelled out, it is I think inevitable in a political system which gives almost every adult the vote, including the 'feckless'; the problem is not just that of lack of honesty by politicians, but probably has more to do with the fact the much of the populationhas been infantilised over the past 40 or so years to expect (almost as a right) htat new car, that annual holiday abroad (often multiple holidays) and that it is perfectly acceptable to have now, pay later. if one of the political parties told the truth, but the others didn't it would stand no chance of being elected - only if all parties agreed to do it might it work. But all we get from all the politicians is accusations that the other party is the one that will be cutting, implying that their own party won't.  
 
We probably need a default, bread lines and genuine hardship before people will begin to realise how serious the situation is. Whoever win on May 6th is going to be very unpopular by the winter, if they are doing vtheir job properly. It won't be pretty, I fear.

27 April 2010, 22:25:25 GMT+01:00